Who Is Auntie M?

    Welcome to Auntie M's Bookshelf! 



 My name is Martha and I am Auntie M.

am a Disciple of Jesus Christ, a book review blogger, and an aspiring author. I believe in studying, mentoring and personal growth.

I am the wife of a Southern Baptist Minister who is currently on staff at Country Meadows Baptist Church as the Worship Leader. I have two children, a 17 year old and an almost 2 year old. I can tell you from experience...you can start planning what you are going to do when the kids are out of the house but God may have a different plan. My husband and I adore our daughter and, one of the biggest surprises of our lives, our sweet little boy!

I grew up down on 10th Street in Kansas City, MO and attended a Christian school which is now closed in Independence. I was saved at the age of 18. Throughout my school career I attended several academic competitions where I competed in categories of Scripture Memorization, Speeches on the topic of Biblical Characters, Art, Vocal Music, and Poetry. I also hold a Bachelor's of Religious Studies and Church Leadership from Central Christian College of the Bible (Summa cum laude).

I have a desire to dig deep into Scripture and grasp all that God has for me. I don't believe that there is anything in His Word that is unknowable for me. I am assured in Scripture that if I seek Him with my whole heart He will be found. This is what I aim to do; seek Him with my whole heart. I don't look for Sunday school answers or church rhetoric. I am in search of His Words and His heart. Hopefully, what I write here will inspire others to do the same.

I also from time to time write book reviews. I love to watch people grow spiritually. I love to see them empowered by God's love and design for their lives. That is why I decided to seize the opportunity to write reviews for Christian Spiritual Growth studies. My desire is to help those who read my blog to know what studies are out there for them. I do not believe that what is currently happening in the U.S. in the area of church small groups has really been beneficial or effective to the Christian faith or to believers individually. Please hear my heart on this subject. I do not believe that lumping people into large groups and employing the most popular studies of the current day is as good for the cause of Christ as we would like to believe.

For years churches have been employing the use of these studies and yet we do not see our nation, communities, churches, families or ourselves as individuals changing. These studies can be powerful tools for growth and connection but unless we study scripture first and foremost while using these studies as aids to our understanding and thinking we are fooling ourselves by thinking that they will produce any kind of significant change.

My sincere desire is spark your interest in God's Word; to intrigue you as I have been intrigued. I also desire to give you the tools necessary to be able to sift through the current studies that are out there, and maybe even introduce you to some authors you may not have heard of otherwise and pick books and topics that are relevant to where you are in your spiritual walk or where your church or congregation may be in its spiritual walk.

Thank you for reading.

Auntie M
(Martha Burton)
please feel free to Share this post with your social networks below:

Comments